The Postalytics tracking code can work with your existing web, ecommerce, or landing page system to track each person’s response uniquely. If the recipient came from a CRM or Marketing Automation tool via a Postalytics integration, you can even sync the response stats back to the source system.
Better yet, you have the option of personalizing your landing pages using the pURL and tracking code features. This article is meant to be read along with the Landing Page Personalization Options.
Table of contents
Postalytics Tracking Code Quick Reference Do’s and Don’ts
- Place the Postalytics tracking code into the HTML, before the closing </body> tag, of each page that will be tracked.
- Make sure the pages being tracked share the same root domain/are on the same website. For example: Starting URL – www.postalytics.com, Conversion/Goal URL – www.postalytics.com/demo
- Test that the tracking code is properly placed by validating the web URL in the Tracking Code section on the Integrations page in your Postalytics account.
- Re-direct to webpages that cannot have the Postalytics tracking code added.
- Use a starting web URL and conversion web URL on different websites.
- Forget to test that the tracking code is properly placed by validating the web URL in the Tracking Code section on the Integrations page in your Postalytics account.
Where can I find the Postalytics Tracking Code?
You can find (and copy) the Postalytics Tracking Code in the Postalytics app in 2 places:
- The “Integrations” page in the drop down under your user name
- Your Campaign Dashboards (after the campaign is fully processed and setup – about 15 minutes after you schedule a Smart Send or finish setting up a Triggered Drip).
What is the Postalytics Tracking Code?
When you add this tracking snippet to your website, you send a pageview for each page your user visits to our servers. We processes this data and can infer a great deal of information including:
- Who is actually on your site
- How many pages they visited
- Which unique pages they visited
- What conversion, or goal pages(s) did they get to
- What links they clicked on
- The page flow from page to page
- By page who visited
Adding The Tracking Code To Your HTML
The tracking code should be added into the HTML of your page before the closing </body> tag. On a static website, this code will need to go on every page (that you want tracked and personalized). For content management and ecommerce driven sites, this can typically be placed in a single theme or template file that generates the footer.
How To Test The Tracking Code
You can simply type or paste your “Starting URL” landing page (or other pages you want to track with the Tracking Code) to run a test. Below is an example from the Integrations page:
How it works
When your customers visit a personal URL (pURL) printed on your direct mail piece, they will hit our server briefly. We track the hit and then send them on to your website with their unique identifier in the query string.
Example: http://Joe-Smith.WantsGreenGrass.com –> http://www.your-lawncare-ecommerce.com/?_bn_d=4D156F50-FBFD-4FDD-9F9C-CD1137D6CAB5
The first time in, a cookie is written that contains just the unique id of the visitor. Assuming the tracking code is loaded on your main ecommerce template, all pages Joe visits on your-lawncare-ecommerce.com will be tracked and can be personalized.
Each page load that has the tracking code and detects an Postalytics ID will communicate back to Postalytics with that ID. Postalytics uses that ID along with browser info to track the activity and conversions, or goal URLs identified in the campaign.
In addition, Postalytics will send back a data object containing info that can be used on your pages for personalization. Our unique variable data and logic tools let you use data from your Postalytics campaign data file to drive personalized online experiences. (Only visitors that have cookies from visiting their PURLs).
Adding The Tracking Code Into Unbounce Landing Pages
- Complete the Script Name with a name that is easily identifiable
- Select Before Body End Tag for the Placement selection
- Paste the Audience tracking code